Stephanie Alexander Kitchen/Garden resource
1 kg pumpkin, diced into 1–2 cm cubes
(to provide 750 g chopped pumpkin)
4 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, peeled and finely diced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2 × 400 g tins lentils, drained and rinsed
1 cup pepitas and/or sunflower seeds, dry-roasted
250 g ricotta
2 cups breadcrumbs
2 large handfuls of basil, chopped
½ cup parmesan, finely grated
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1½ cups instant polenta
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Prepare the ingredients based on the instructions in the ingredients list.
3. Lightly toss the pumpkin in 1 tbsp olive oil and roast for 20 minutes until tender.
4. Heat the medium frying pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil and cook the onions, then add
the garlic and cook until soft.
5. Once the pumpkin is cooked, mash it in the large bowl with the potato masher.
6. Add lentils, onions, garlic, seeds, ricotta, breadcrumbs, basil, parmesan, salt and
pepper to the mashed pumpkin. Mix to combine.
7. Scatter polenta over a large plate.
8. Shape the patties. Use ¼ cup of mixture per patty.
9. Roll the patties in polenta to coat them.
10. Heat two large frying pans over a medium heat with 1 tbsp. of olive oil in each.
11. Shallow-fry the patties until golden, then drain on a baking tray lined with kitchen paper.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
This is Jackie French's (Australian writer/TV personality/gardener) recipe.
Christine is our chef in the kitchen. Christine plans the menu based on the fresh ingredients coming from the garden, opportunities for new cooking skills for the students to learn and links to our learning in the classroom